Hey all!! I know it’s been a while since I last posted. We had a fabulous vacation and it’s been tough getting back into the swing of things. Here are a few highlights from our week at the cabin. The boys had a blast swimming, fishing, biking and exploring. I can’t wait to go again next summer.
Right before I went away on holidays I started experiencing some front knee pain. I tried to ignore it in typical runner’s style but it persisted. Once we got to the cabin the pain worsened and traveled to my calf. I was icing it every 2 hrs with no relief. (well the wine might have helped). I did go out for a couple short runs to test the waters but still had pain. I decided once we got back to the city to really look into the problem. Since being home I have tried wearing compression socks which has helped with the calf pain and applied some Kinesiology tape to my knee to take the pressure off. I have a massage booked for later today and I’m going to see a physiotherapist on Monday. I did try running 2 miles on Wednesday with a bit of pain so there will be no more running for a bit…but man is that tough. I feel so stressed and a bit fluffy. I haven’t taken this much time off running since I gave birth to Hudson almost two years ago. FML. Seriously though, I put on a few extra pounds while on vacation and it’s killing me. I feel like a bit of a phony. I’m writing about how to live a healthy lifestyle and I’m over here indulging in wine, cookies and way too many licorice.
I’m not going to sit around and complain about it though. I have come up with a plan and I am going to get rid of these extra pounds! Over the next 4 weeks I’m not sure how much running I will be able to do, so instead I will be focusing my efforts on lifting weights and tightening up on my diet. I know that is where I will see the most difference. I’m also planning to do more yoga and spin classes.
I’m hoping if I give myself the next 4 weeks to rest my legs I will be in good shape to start training for the WFPS half marathon on October 19.
It truly has been a crazy week being back from vacation and I hadn’t had a chance to go grocery shopping until yesterday. The other night I threw together a great dish with stuff I had on hand and it turned out pretty tasty….and it was way too good not to share.
Kale and Turkey Power Bowls:
makes 4 servings
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups of kale, chopped
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed (I saved the rest of the can to throw in a salad the next day)
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 cooked beet, chopped (I used Love beets purchased from Costco)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup feta to garnish
- Cook quinoa according to instructions on packaging.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat large wok (or frying pan) on med-high. Add 1 tbsp of oil olive.
- Add the turkey to wok.
- Cook for about 3-5 minutes, until the turkey is done or until cooked through and no longer pink, breaking the turkey up as it browns. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add kale, peppers and chickpeas to the pan.
- Let them cook for about 5 minutes. Don’t forget to stir often.
- Now, add the cooked quinoa and tomato. Stir to blend.
- Combine balsamic vinegar and 2 tbsp olive oil in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing in wok.
- Stir and cook for another minute.
- Turn heat down to med-low. Stir for another 2-3 minutes.
Garnish with feta and enjoy!
Have you ever had a running injury? How did you stay active when you couldn’t run?